27a- Reading Reflection 3
Mindset: The New
Psychology of Success Summary
1.
What was the general theme or argument of the
book?
The general theme of this book revolves
around the concept behind the rest of the book, which is that of two different
mindsets. The first is the fixed mindset, in which one is acknowledges the idea
of set abilities, aptitudes, and talents that can only be proven or not. Whereas,
the growth mindset is one that believes these traits can be developed, learned
and changed. The book then goes in depth as to how these mindsets affect one’s
way of life from leadership and success to everyday decisions.
2.
This book connected to my learning in ENT 3003
because if there is one concept that this class reinforced for me, it was how
to approach failure. This book directly connects to this idea because it
stresses the different ways in which your mindset determines your outcomes. If
one fails, the best way to approach the failure is to view it as a positive, as
a way of learning and growing. This book directly adds to this idea by focusing
on the mindset one use’s in various life situations. If you have the mindset
that failure is a part of life, and to use it to as an advantage and a way of pushing
forward, then your mindset will determine the outcome of the failure.
3.
One exercise that I would develop is to have the
students think of an instance of an instance in their lives in which a particular
mindset determined how they perceived the situation, and if having a particular
mindset altered the situation, then why they think so. For example, I was in a
severe car accident at the start of 2019, and I was constantly feeling down on
myself and self-pitying. By realizing the way I was viewing the situation as a
curse instead of a blessing and then altering my mindset as a result, I was
able to flip my situation around and then really use the car accident as a way
to grow.
4.
What surprised me the most about this book is
the author interprets one’s mindset as the key to handling life’s obstacles, in
addition to the way in which you are able to control the various aspects of
your life. I don’t feel this is completely true, but I definitely see merit in
the idea. I have dealt with depression and other hardships in my life, and one
of the reasons I was truly able to climb out of these points in my life is through
the mindset I had. I was able to climb out of these dark times simply because I
realized I was the position I was in because of self-pity and self-loathing. By
altering this mindset I was able to overcome these obstacles. However, I believe
there is much more to success simply than one’s mind set. You always have to
put effort and time into the things you do for true success, and I didn’t feel
the author really stressed this in the book.
Hey Jake,
ReplyDeleteEffort and time I believe are the most important aspects in growing. I think altering your mindset is part of the effort involved in taking your self out of these dark places. Similar to you I was in a bad accident in high school and i just felt very depressed after it, trying to think of a way that I could've stopped it, this was my fixed mindset. However once I realized that me and my friends were alive I was appreciative of this learning moment, as well as the insurance money that the other driver had to pay for totaling my car.