16A- Secret Sauce
My Secret Sauce
1)
What human capital do you possess that you feel
makes you unique?
·
Perfectionism: Ever since I was a kid, I have
been extremely particular about certain aspects of my life. The most important
of that being my attitude towards making a name for myself. I have always
wanted to grow up to be successful, so that I could branch out and see a world
that many people do not have the opportunity to see. I put all of my effort into
ensuring that things are done exactly the way I want them to.
·
Attitude towards Academia: Even since elementary
school, I had valued the importance of acquiring knowledge and appreciating the
process of learning. I have always felt that one of the most important aspects
of life is using knowledge to grow as a person, if you never feel the need to
learn how can you expect to get better at something. This is the philosophy I have
used to approach school since I was little.
·
Empathy: Growing up in a very conservative and
at times close-minded house hold, I feel I have really developed into someone that
understands and appreciates the differences in others. There were times growing
up that my parents attitudes towards people different than us were unfair and
unwarranted, and as a result I have made it a priority to appreciate and learn
from people who think differently or look differently. I find this to be
extremely important in todays society, because if you cannot empathize with
people who are different than you, you can never truly understand their
problem.
·
Humor: Although this is trait I feel many people
think they exhibit, my humor in particular is unique. I appreciate the light-heartedness
of life. I find it important to balance the stresses of live with a positive
outlook and humor. If you are constantly drowning in the stresses and negativities
in life, it is extremely hard to take a step back and appreciate the smaller
things. In order to be successful, I think it is crucial to stay positive.
·
Persistence: There have been quite many times in
my life that I have failed. In fact, it is way easier for me to remember the
times I have failed at times and the stupid things in my life that I have done.
However, I have always found a reason to persevere. Whether it is for my
friends or family, myself, or for people I have never met. Being able to bounce
back from the hard times in life is what it is all about, and I contribute my
4.0 GPA to my persistence in school.
2)
Interviews: Interviews found on my SoundCloud in
the links below:
https://soundcloud.com/user-140467295/zach-interview-5
·
Emma: Emma has been one of my closest friends
since high school. One of the things that she stressed that she values about me
is my kind attitude and my work ethic in things that are important to me, such
as school. She said one of the biggest reasons we became friends is because how
kind-hearted and outgoing I seemed.
·
Fern: Fern has been my girlfriend for the last 6
months. We’ve been through quite a bit together and we’ve known each other for quite
a long time. One of the things she stressed in her interview was her respect
for my work ethic, but also my ability to learn from others and appreciate people’s
differences. She also stressed my persistence, (mentioning that it took 2 years
to make her my girlfriend, which is true)
·
Mom: My mom was my fourth interview. Hearing her
talk about my drive and motivation even since elementary school was nice as it
was something I had already mentioned in my own character traits. She stressed
how determined I’ve been throughout my life and especially in my academia, which
just goes to show that your mother knows you best.
·
Palmer: Palmer is my best friend. I met him
three years ago at UF and we’ve grown to become very close friends. Palmer
stressed how much he knows I care about school and my future, and even went on
to say that it can be annoying at times. He also stressed that he loves my kind
heart and “funny” laugh, which makes it easy for those around me to connect
with me.
·
Zach: My brother Zach is probably the person who
knows me best. He’s been there for me at every high and low and I respect him
more than anyone. Like the other interviews, Zach mentioned how he’s seen me
grow for this shy, humble kid to someone who is mature and very outgoing. He
also mentioned that my work ethic has always been something that sets me apart
from other, as he has seen grind on Fridays and Saturdays knowing that there’s
other stuff going on. He also stressed how caring I am for the people in my
life that I care about.
Reflection:
This exercise was extremely interesting because there was definitely
overlap between the way I see myself and the way those closest to me see me.
Almost every single interviewee mentioned my work ethic and drive when it came
to school, and this is something I pride myself most on in my life, and those
closest to me have noticed as well. There were not many differences, except the
fact that Emma and my brother found me to be more caring and warm-hearted than
I really saw myself. This probably stems from the fact that I try to be tough
and hard on myself but more caring and warm to those that I care about. I absolutely
believe my interviewees were correct about me, as many of the things they said about
me I also felt about myself. Going back to the list from part 1, I still stand
by it. I would not change anything about this list and still feel it most
accurately depicts the characteristics about me I hold the most valuable.
Hi Jake!
ReplyDeleteI liked that you went into a lot of detail when you were describing the attributes you thought you had at the beginning of the assignment. I also didn’t change my list after having my interviewees give me their answers, but I still thought that their feedback helped me feel more assured of myself and the characteristics I have. I thought this was a very thoughtful response and had all the components that were asked for.
Hey Jake,
ReplyDeleteGreat interviews and lists. I also grew up where my parents were sometimes not th emost open so i strive to change that in my self. You clearly have a amazing work ethic. Even in your social and personal life it exists(as i saw with Fern). It is never too early to start working hard and from elementary school is the perfect time to have a great work ethic. Overall great post, good to get to know you.